Laser MicroJet Benefits
Synova offers fast and accurate laser machining solutions for the tool manufacturing industry.
Laser MicroJet (LMJ) systems are able to cut a wide range of materials such metals, ceramics, ultra-hard materials and carbide substrates as well as non-conductive materials such as SCD.
The laser cutting systems with 3 axes are ideal for 2D cutting, drilling, grooving or slicing of PCD, MCD, PcBN or CVD diamond tool bits, leaving smooth cutting surfaces and sharp edges.
The 5-axis machines enable high-precision 3D ablation (shaping) for cutting single or multiple clearance angles and chamfering K-land edges. Furthermore, the LMJ technology allows homogeneous step-free cuts between diamond layer and carbide.
All machines are based on Synova’s hybrid water jet/ laser method (LMJ) that combines the advantages of water and laser cutting into one operation. The laser beam is entirely contained within the water jet as a cylindrical beam, similar in principle to an optical fiber, resulting in perfectly parallel kerf walls. Contrary to results achieved by conventional lasers, Synova’s wet approach offers a less aggressive cutting process without heat affected zone (HAZ) and micro-cracks that can weaken the material’s fracture strength. Notably, since the LMJ produces damage-free edges, it eliminates the need for extra processing steps, such as etching, grinding or cleaning and therefore reducing manufacturing costs.
- Materials: PCD, SCD, natural diamond, PcBN, carbide
- Maximum thickness: 10 mm (PCD/ WC drill bits)
- Average thickness:
- 1.6 mm for PCD/ WC inserts
- up to 2 mm for SCD
- up to 4.7 mm for PcBN
- Operations: Roughing, finishing, clearance shaping (with evolving clearance angle, if needed)
- High speed:
- 2D cutting of 1.6 mm thick PCD/ WC: 5 mm/ min
- 3D cutting (one clearance angle) of 1.6 mm thick PCD/ WC: 2.5 mm/ min
- Low roughness on PCD:
- Ra between 0.1 and 0.3 µm
- Rz below 2 µm
- Waviness: less than 2 µm
- Chipping: less than 1 µm
Cutting diamond tool inserts for milling machines/ drilling machines
- A. PCD drill bits A. PCD drill bits
- B. PCD drilling tool insert B. PCD drilling tool insert
- C. PCD tool inserts C. PCD tool inserts
- D. Tool insert (MCD) D. Tool insert (MCD)
- E. Clearance angle (MCD) E. Clearance angle (MCD)
- F. Surface and edge quality by LMJ F. Surface and edge quality by LMJ
Customer Sample Request Form
If you are interested in seeing how the Laser MicroJet® can improve your manufacturing processes, please send us a short description of your application (material, thickness, process, requirements).
Therefore please use the electronic form CSRF available in English, German or French: